Bright red stools, recommended internal tests. Had taken beet root in the diet. Could that be causing this?

Hi, Yesterday evening when I passed stools , it was bright was like the stool in middle of pool of blood . I got really scared. I went to emergency doctor yesterday. He did some tests and said there is no external piles. So he referred me to go to GP for doing my internal tests. But one thing I forgot to mention was that on sunday , i had some portions of beetroot vegetable. Would it be because of that ? Please help me. I am scared
Asked On : Fri, 30 Nov 2012
Thanks for writing in HCM
I need further information regarding 1.)your age 2.) have u suffered with this symptom before 3 .) do u have abdominal pain ,difficulty in passing stool,4.)any history of hypertension ,or under any medications 5.) alcoholic/smoker 6.) any sudden weight loss 7.)about your appetite 8.) do your parents or grandparents suffered from any gastrointestinal pathology. kindly provide me this details if dont have any symptoms mentioned above and only one or two days with red coloured stool after intake of beetroot no need to get worried its because of beetroot only. But if the bright red coloured stool persists or any of above symptoms present, consult nearby general surgeon.
i would be glad to provide answers to any further queries.
Thanks for using HMC Have a good day!
Dr. V.KUMARAGURU general surgeon