Breathing trouble, pain in ribs, high fever, chills, headache, discolored urine post bang on the ribs. What step should be taken?

My husband, banged his ribs on a fair ride on Wednesday, since that night he had trouble breathing and was in a lot of pain with his ribs on one side and became generally unwell. His symptoms are high temperature, shivering , sickness, aching joints, sensitive skin , headache and his urine is discoloured. He says his ribs are not as sore today but still hurt if he coughs etc...
Asked On : Tue, 12 Jun 2012
Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement 's  Response
This is quite common occurrence with rib fracture as they take long time in healing and some time it can be painful for 3 months. I would recommend you followoing things for pain relief though coughing and sneezing will always be painful.
1. Apply hot water and Diclofenac ointment
2. Take Brufen and Ultracet tablet for pain relief
3. Avoid lying down on affected side
I also want to warn you that some of his symptoms like temperature, shivering and sickness can be due to some other infection like urinary tract infection, so get his blood investigations like ESR, CRP and WBC as well.