Breathing discomfort on trying to fall asleep, tingly and cool feeling radiating from chest to stomach on sleeping sideways. Have quit smoking. What is the cause?

I am 25 years old, 5 8 , 175 lbs and very active. I weight train 3-4 times a week and do cardio in between, although not often as I suffered an MCL tear a few years ago and my knee is still quite the same. I do what I can. I have not smoked cigarettes (was smoking half a pack a day for 6-7 years; at one point I was up to a pack a day for a year) for about two months now. I eat a healthy diet throughout the week and eat 6-7 times a day in small quantities (usually pick Saturday or Sunday to splurge and pig-out for one meal). Well, there is my background. When I start to fall asleep at night, mostly the transition from being awake to falling asleep, I feel like I stop breathing and often twitch awake gasping for air. When I try to fall asleep, it is almost as if I have to tell myself to inhale and exhale- however, it feels like I am not getting any oxygen whatsoever. NOTE: this is only when I lay on my back. However, when I roll over to my side or stomach , a weird tingly and cool sensation radiates from my chest outward, into my stomach, limbs, etc. I often have to coach myself to fall asleep now. I know some of these feelings could result from the whole quitting smoking thing, but I am just generally worried. I do not have health insurance, so going to the doctor is not an option at this point.
Asked On : Wed, 13 Jun 2012