Breathing difficulty on lying, taking doxycycline for coughing up blood. Side effect?

Ok well I was taken to accident& emergency on the 22nd of April because of coughing up blood not involuntary coughing though, my oxygen levels were low and I was placed on a sodium drip. So far I still have no idea what was wrong. I had CT scans, blood tests, sputum tests and an x-ray scan of my chest. Still I am unsure as to what was wrong. They then proceeded to place me on doxycycline which I took as recommended, now it has been five days since I took my last doxy. I find that when I try to sleep I am waking up with no breath and having to struggle to breathe? If I sit up then I am not so bad albeit every so often I find it hard to breath but then I m fine again this only seems to happen whilst trying to sleep or laying down. I can only assume I had pneumonia of some form and perhaps viral pneumonia? Well right now I m dizzy with what I can only assume as fever (because I m sweating) a bit of a dry cough and need to clear my throat but without any blood in my sputum now. I realise that some side effects are still there from doxycycline but is breathing problems when trying to sleep one of them and if so should I see my GP about it?
Asked On : Sat, 5 May 2012