Breastfed. Why was there blood in stool? Protein allergy. Further?

My son is 4 months old now.He is exclusively on breastfeed . when he was 2.5 months I noticed blood streak in his stool and get done stool test . therewere 25-30 pus cells in it and reducing substance was positive.My pediatrician told that if he is exclusivily breast feeding then it is very unlikly to get infection.after 5 days his stool freqency increased and color chanded to green, then on recomedation of doctor stool culture was done and zifi 100 started for 5 days. after completion of antibiotic course still blood streaks were there then doctor suspected cow milk protine allergy and kept me on milk free diet. Since last 3 weeks I am not taking any milk product but blood streaks come on and off. His stool is always watery or semi solid but never hard and he passes 4-5 times a day(on an average). Day before yesterday when applying nappy cream i discovered he has a small lump under the skin on left side of his anus .You cant see it from the outside and it isnt red or anything and it doesnt seem to cause him pain when i feel it. Doctor says that it is abscess and gave antibiotic course.My concern is that if pain is not there then how can it be abscess and is is good to adminitor antibiotics in such a small baby.Does antibiotics have side effects?
Asked On : Wed, 19 Sep 2012