Breaking out in hives on face. Something to desensitize skin?

Hi Dr. I have gotten badly sunburned twice in the past in which I had to go to the ER to get an IM injection because I broke out in hives . That was ~5years ago and ever since those two summers in a row I mildly break out in hives on my face at the beginning of summer even though I do not get any color or burn. It gets better come August and steroid ointment helps, but it is high potency and I do not want to keep using that especially on my face. Is there something I could do to desensitize my skin from the sun without paying for phototherapy?
Asked On : Sat, 3 Nov 2012