Bones between fingers, wrist broken, in cast. Unable to move fingers. When will it become normal?

hi, i broke my right hand the 3rd & 4th bones btw my fingers and my wrist and im in a cast for 4 weeks now but when i remove the cast to wash up my hand i cant move either my fingers & my rest! is that normal? & how long it will last to get back to normal again? I feel so bad coz i cant move my fingers and my wrist not to mention the pain i feel..
Asked On : Sun, 24 Feb 2013
Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement 's  Response
Jul 2013
Hi , thanks for writing to HCM.

When the wrist and hand are immobilised in a cast for a fracture, a certain amount of stiffness results in fingers. So it is mandatory to perform active finger movements inorder to prevent the development of contractures.

I think you will get back the normal range of movements in your fingers within 2-3 weeks of active physiotherapy.

Hope this information is helpful. Good day