Boil in inguinal area with streaking and redness, took Bactrim, had been to swimming. Could it be infection?

My 37 y/o son has an boil in the inguinal area about 2 inches done from the hip area on the right. He went to an urgent care where the Practitioner looked at it from the door way and did not even palpate it. There was streaking and redness down the inguinal area down about 3 or 4 inches. He was given Bactrim DS rx. This started a couple days ago as a small red bump and quickly worsened today. He went swimming in a bay area here in the Fort Walton area. I am concerned and worried about a spreading infection. I called an ER and they said they usually wait til the boil softens and advised to take the antibiotics and see.
Asked On : Mon, 10 Sep 2012