Blue, purplish patches on the sides of ankles with warmness, bone spur on the top of foot. Surgery required?

Hi, I have a problem with my right foot . It s been there for some time, and I went to a podiatrist for a bone spur on the top of my foot. He wasn t bothered by the blue/purplish patches on the side of my ankle. Thought maybe I d bruised it. Today in my chiropractor s office, he thought my right ankle felt warm, whereas the left was cool. Now I notice a purplish color all along the right side of my right foot and a couple purple patches on the side of the heel and ankle. I should mention I did water aerobics this morning - jumping on a rough bottomed floor of the pool. I plan to get some rubber shoes for that. As to the bone spur, the podiatrist said if it really bothered me, and it hurts a bit sometimes, he could fuse it where the dent in the center is, but preferred not to unless I really needed it. I heard someone else say she had one there and her doctor shaved it off. It s a delicate place to operate, but it is bothering me. What do you think. I sense my foot swelling and on the bottom it feels a little pulled . Thanks for reading all this. Alison J.
Asked On : Fri, 18 Jan 2013

Thanks for writing to us,

I have studied your case with diligence.

As per your symptoms there is possibility of calcaneal spur aliong with plantar fasciitis.
It is advisable to wear low heel shoe to maintain centre of gravity of whole body.

Start plantar exercises consulting physiotherapist.
I f pain is persistent after all types of therapy then surgical exicision can be done.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.