Blood work done, autoimmune diseases

I am a 46 year old female and at my recent yearly checkup, my blood work came back with the following: Vitamin B12 is 198L, positive for ANA Screen, Iron total 37L, and positive for Centromere B Antibody 8.0. My total cholesteral was 217 H with LDL of 147 H. My doctor is referring me to a rheumatoid physician for further testing for autoimmune diseases. Any thoughts?
Asked On : Sun, 27 May 2012
Cardiologist 's  Response
Hi Chobbs,

Thanks for writing in.

I am a medical specialist with a degree in subspecialty of cardiology. I saw your screening and siund low seum B12, low Iron, Srum positive for antinuclear antibody. Additionally, you have borderline elevation of total cholesterol and LDL.
ANA shows up on indirect immunofluorescence as fluorescent patterns in cells that are fixed to a slide that is evaluated under a microscope. Different patterns have been associated with a variety of autoimmune disorders, some of the more common patterns include:

Homogenous (diffuse) - associated with SLE and mixed connective tissue disease
Speckled - associated with SLE, Sjogren syndrome, scleroderma, polymyositis, rheumatoid arthritis, and mixed connective tissue disease
Nucleolar - associated with scleroderma and polymyositis
Centromere pattern (peripheral) - associated with scleroderma and CREST (Calcinosis, Raynaud's syndrome, Esophogeal dysmotility, Sclerodactyly, Telangiectasia)

It is not possible to diagnose the exact cause for this without examining you and perhaps doing some more tests.

Your doctor has done the right thing in referring you to rheumatologist.

Best Wishes

Dr Anil Grover