Blood with white discharge from grafts for burn injury, applying bacitracin ointment. Normal?

My 18 year old son had skin graft surgery 3 weeks ago following a burn injury. The grafts all took, but about half of them are hypertrophic. While doing the daily massage of the grafts, we have noticed that blood mixed with white discharge is leaking out from the sides of the grafts and sometimes from the middle areas of the graft. some of these areas are sore but many are not. we are gently pushing the discharge out and then apply bacitracin ointment. The doctors don t seem to be concerned about this. He is supposed to be heading off to college in three weeks and we would like to get this under control. We are having a hard time finding info about what is normal healing for skin grafts. Should we be concerned?
Asked On : Tue, 7 Aug 2012