Blood transfusion for stab injury.

I had an accident some time back where a rod went into my leg so I was rushed to the hospital. I was unconscious then but when I woke up I was getting a bottle of blood on one side and a bottle of some fluid on the other. Can you tell me why that was?
Asked On : Sun, 17 Jan 2010
In case of a stab injury, like the one in you were a rod went into your leg, firstly avoid removing the object that has pierced you. The reason is that if the object has pierced your artery it will be acting as a pressure (preventing blood loss). So when the rod was removed the constricting force was removed hence would have lost a lot of blood. In case of such an incident where any object has gone through the body tissue, if it does not come out on its own, never try to remove it. Instead secure the object with a towel or cloth preventing the further movement of the object. Then transport the patient to the hospital where the personnel are well equipped to handle such cases. Do not provide the patient water to drink, if needed only sips must be given, this is to avoid any complications that might occur if the patient requires surgery. Securing the object by preventing its further movement will be the key.