Blood tests show elevated MCV. Is this the cause of irreversible liver disease ?

hi 3 months ago my partner had a routine set of blood tests taken and all normal with exception of mcv which was elevated to 109 he has had a repeat teast done after 2 months and levels reduced to 104vAlthough he is not a heavy drinker he does have over the recommended levels by approx 50% ie 30 - 35 units a week During the 2 months he did reduce these levels a bit and mcv reduced to 104 He has now reduced his levels significantly as the tests have shocked him and made him look more honestly at his intake. Is it likely that with these results he will have irreversible liver disease or with consistent reduction are matters likely to resolve
Asked On : Wed, 20 Feb 2013