Blood test showing high cholesterol levels and CKD. Advised to take statins. Side effects?

Following a visit to my GP yesterday following a high cholesterol reading from blood tests, he has advised I am at Stage 3 in CKD and that I should take Statins, firstly I was alarmed because I had never been told I was at Stage 1 or 2! and secondly I have heard such adverse reports of people on Statins I am very scared to take them. How can I have reached Stager 3 without prior knowledge of stages 1 and 2?
Asked On : Fri, 6 Jul 2012