Blood test reports indicate thrombocytopenia. What is the meaning and treatment?

My brother s blood test report says : Peripheral Smear Study (Microscopic) : RBCs : Normocytic and normochromic in appearance. Parasites : No malarial parasites or haemoparasites are seen. WBCs : Normal in number and distribution. Immature cells : No immature cells or atypical cells are seen. Platelets : Moderate thrombocytopenia seen. Impression : Thrombocytopenia - for clinical correaltion. . Could please explain what it is. Two years back he was seen by doctor for enlarged spleen , some liver condition and bleeding. I am concerned about him. Please advice.
Asked On : Sun, 9 Dec 2012