Blood in urine. Cystoscopy suggested. Suggested to take ativan. Concerned about the side effects

Hi I am getting a cystoscopy in a few weeks because of blood in the urine for the last four years. I was told that there is no sedation is given, just local anesthesia. My family doctor suggested that I should take one or two mg Ativan because I am a very nervous person. I read on the Internet and some people describe horror stories about it. I am a female and I was wondering is it such a bad ordeal and whether one or two pills will b enough for me to relax, and if I can't could being tense cause me to hurt myself more during the procedure. People talk about another pill called Vested. Can I get a presciption for that from my GP? Thank you in advance.

Asked On : Fri, 19 Apr 2013