Blood in stools, bloating, abdominal cramps. Concerned with IBS?

Hi, I am a 23 year old male. I ve been having bright red blood in my stools for a long time (not mixed in with faeces). However over the last few days it has become darker in colour and appears to be mixed in. This has been associated with some bloating and abdominal cramps. No one in my family has any similar symptoms. I don t know whether its relevant or not but i have also noticed an enlarged node in my right inguinal region about 2.5 cm by 2.5cm. I Had giardia a few years ago after a visit to India, although i haven t been abroad recently. I also have asthma. I am not on any regular medication except for salbutamol and beclometasone. No one in my family has any long term medical conditions. I do no smoke and drink around 10 units a week (although this vary s month to month, sometimes none sometimes 30) I am concerned that this could be inflammatory bowel disease (despite lack of family history). I don t think it is IBS - although it could be but i didn t think you had blood with this disorder which i believe is more psychiatric?
Asked On : Fri, 7 Sep 2012
Gastroenterologist 's  Response
Hello, smee8'
I am not sure if you received my respopnse.
What I recommend is, that you make an appointment with
a gastropenterologist.It is not normal to have blood with the
stool.Especially if you are having liquid stools, we have to
rule out colitis at your age.
The medications that you are on contain cortosone and
sometimes can cause stomach ulcers ankd bleeding .
Wish you good health.