Blood in stool, pain while passing stool, normal stool. Advised more fiber in diet. Any ideas?

for the pass couple of days when I have a bowel movement there is bood on one side of my stool and when I wipe there is a lot of blood on the tissue. their is a sharp pain also while Im passing stool, the stool is like a normal brown stool and solid. Im on meds that couses constapation. I talked to my doctor before about it and he said I need more fiber in my diet, or stool softener it still scares me im 39, and my sister passed away from colon cancer two years ago at age 50. should I be worried, alo sometimes I feel like a needle pinch around the opening, the sharp pain I feel while im passing stool.
Asked On : Tue, 23 Apr 2013