Blood clot on leg, on birth control during surgery. Pragnant taking blood thinning medicine. How can we avoid this?

My sister had a blood clot in her leg right after ACL/MCL surgery in her leg. She was on birth control during the surgery and the doctor actually forgot to ask her about birth control, hence her blood clot. She is now 8 months pregnant and is taking blood thinning medicine. I would like to know what the ramifications are of her being on a blood thinning medicine during pregnancy, and how we can avoid any current and future clots?
Asked On : Mon, 14 Oct 2013