Blocked nasal passage, have thick mucus, persistent cough, no fever. How to cure?

I have had a nasty cold . I had a blocked nasal passage and when I blew my nose thick mucas came away at first it was slightly coloured but later was either white or transparent. It has left me with a cough which was quite persistent to start with and is now getting much better although I still have a bit of a tickle in the back of my throat . I din t have a temperature and really did not fell that poorly, just a bit under the weather. My concern is that I went to my doctor to see if she could prescribe me with some cough mixture ( a friend had had the same symptons and was prescribed cough mixture which helped her) My doctor is very thorough and has taken a swab to rule out whooping cough . My problem is my daughter in law in 24/25 weeks pregnant I am due to look after my grandson at their house next week.. I am completely better now am only coughing occasionally. Could you advise me please
Asked On : Mon, 11 Feb 2013