Bleeding post trying to scrape the piece of tonsil that was hanging. What could be the cheap remedy?

my 23 year old son is complaining of a piece of his tonsil hanging down. He mentioned cleaning a hole out and getting mucus out. It is annoying and he doesn t have insurance for another month. He is scared and I have not been able to see him - will try to get there tomorrow, but I am not a doctor. (I think he thinks I am because I was an EMT) He needs a cheap fix till he gets insurance he just started a new job and has no extra cash. He tried a tooth brush for 1/2 hour to scrape the piece off, but he made himself bleed so he stopped. any ideas? He had his adnoids out for cronic ear infections when he was 2 or 3 and has been good with no ear infections, not sure if this might be important in helping with this scenario.
Asked On : Sat, 2 Jun 2012