Bleeding, portal hypertension. Banding sessions done. Shut surgery the only option?

my first time i bleed was 17 years ago after i have a primi baby the 2 times i bleed again after 3 years i have trasfusion both times i do banding now i was diagnosed with portal hypertention i stop do the banding session because they was not swollen now they came back again my doctor said i,AM SITTING ON A TIME BOMB but i do not find wat cause it because all my test is good he toll me my only option is a shunt surgery wat is the risk is there no other option please help i,am scared a single mom
Asked On : Sun, 22 Jul 2012
Ayurveda Specialist 's  Response
1. if doctor said "you are sitting on a time bomb", this probably means that at any time the portal pressure can elevate resulting in rupturing:
. lower end of esophagus: leading to hematemesis and malena.
. around th umblicus: caput medusae
. rectum and anal canal: hemmorhoids.

2. since hepato cellular function is the best predictor of bleeding from varices, thus check with Liver function tests [LFT] to rule out hepatic failure.
3. treatment will depend whether the cause is pre-sinusoidal or post sinusoidal, [portal hypertension is associated with splenomegaly which favors extra hepatic obstruction] and hopefully your Doctor has find the aetiology of the same.
4. Rest: [reduction of physical activity reduces metabolic demands of the liver and increases renal perfusion].
. because your history suggests recurrent bleeding [for which bandaging was done], thus prevention is done by sclerotherapy, banding, TIS [Transjugular intrahepatic portosystemic shunting], surgical shunt.

. prior to surgery prescription drugs like : vasopressin, glypressin, somatostatin and octreotide, propanol, nitrates,nitroglycerin,verapamil are used for prevention of recurrent bleeding, but your Doctor will be better to judge your Condition.
. In good-risk patients with variceal bleeding undergoing portal decompression, surgical shunt is more effective, more durable, and less costly than angiographic shunt (transjugular intrahepatic portasystemic shunt [TIPS]).