Bleeding from the ear after cleaning with a cotton bud. Advice?

Hello iam Mrs Rao.
Day before yesterday when my son is cleaning his left ear with a cottonbud at night we found a blood drop coming out of that ear, but he said there is no pain,also he is feeling in the ear cool. Again yesterday night i checked it, Then i have found the dry blood at the ear canal slowly i send the cotton upto the middle ear slight wet blood stains on bud, my son is looking still normal.
Please can you tell me the cause for it? Iam really worried about this because earlier the same i have found in my three years old daughter,that time i did not go to the doctor & i had never recieved any complaint about this till today from her.
Asked On : Fri, 12 Apr 2013
Critical Care Specialist 's  Response
Hi thanks for your question.
Most probably he has injured his canal while cleaning the ear.There is nothing to worry.Keep his ear dry.However if this bleeding is associated with hearing loss,then probably he has perforated his ear drum and he needs a consultation from ENT specialist.
Hope this answers your question.