Bleeding from penis, blood in urine. On low potassium diet. Is it kidney issue?

My husband has been bleeding from his penis for several (10 years) years we talking about bright red blood when he pees he now has high levels of potassium and has been told by his va doctor to get in low potassium diet; What type of kidney problem could he have? He does not have cancer ..what tests are best at diagnosing his problem, should he go to the er cause I don t want him to have a heart attack cause of his high potassium and the va takes forever to schedule him a visit v
Asked On : Mon, 4 Mar 2013