Bleeding from belly bottom, bad smell, secretion. Reason?

hello, i am a 22 years old male,and recently i have been bleeding just a little bit from my belly button,what is that? at first it was just some kinda secretion thing,just a little bit,smelled kinda bad,thought it was just bacteria or something,then it bleeds out just a little bit,i can see dried up blood on my belly button when i wake up in the morning,kinda scary..
Asked On : Wed, 9 Oct 2013
Pathologist and Microbiologist 's  Response
Hi!
welcome to HCM!
The most common cause of bleeding or discharge from the belly button is an infection of the skin in the umbilicus.
Like any skin surface, the skin of the umbilicus can become infected. In fact, it may be more likely to become infected because it is moist and a good environment for bacteria or fungi to grow. If there is swelling, pain, or redness of the skin in or around the belly button, then an infection is more likely. Topical antibacterial or antifungal creams may help or you may need oral medication.

Occasionally, a small cyst or duct that extends into the abdominal wall from the belly button called a urachal remnant may be present. It can at times cause bleeding and may need observation or surgery.You will require a physical examination by your personal physician.
hope this will help you!Take care!