Bleeding from a pore on the nose. Anything serious?

Hi, Today while i was walking to the bus, I (19 year old male) noticed a red dot on the left side of my nose . I brushed it aside and noticed a tiny bit of blood . Then, the dot gets larger and it turns out that the pore is bleeding . I thought it was nothing so I wiped away the blood, but it kept bleeding and bleeding. I rushed to the bathroom and grabbed a paper towel and applied pressure to the pore, and the bleeding eventually stopped after about 5-8 minutes. I thought something was up but what shocked me is that I found out that my grandmother (late 70 s - early 80 s) had the same experience last night. It lasted about the same length of time, and occurred in the exact same spot (give or take a few millimeters). Is this something to be concerned about? We both have a healthy diet , we have a salad every dinner and eat mainly home-cooked meals made from scratch . What can we do to fnd out if this is serious? Thank you for your help.
Asked On : Mon, 25 Feb 2013
Dec 2013
Welcome to Healthcare Magic,

As per your query you and your grand mother have bleeding from a pore on the nose which lasted for around 5-8 minutes.

Now in normal course of bleeding it should stop within a time frame of 3-5 minutes. In your case it lasted for around 5-8 minutes, which is bit longer period.

This suggest that thre may be some abnormality in the clotting of the blood. This can be a usual process in general but should never be taken lightly. In you and your grand mother' s case it could be because of some medications if you both are taking such as pain killers off and on. This can also be due to lack certain vitamins in the body.

Even then you should go for 3 simple tests of bleeding time, clotting time and platelet counts. If these are normal then no need of worry, but if these are abnormal then should meet a doctor who can further investigate and guide you accordingly.

In between kindly increase the amount of vitamin C containing fruits in your diet.

Hope to have provided the helpful informations regarding your problem.
With good health wishes"
Dr Sanjay Kumar Kanodia
MD (Dermatology & STD/Venereology)