Bleeding during intercourse. Prescribed with birth control pills. Why?

Hello, I woul like to know why I was prescribed birth control pills? I have been experiencing bleeding during sex and all Pap smear , stds, ultrasound came back normal and negative. My doctor sai it was to rule out hormonal issues... But what does that mean?? How will the pills help? And is this a way to make it just stop bleeding but not really knowing what the problem is? If it stops the bleeding will I have to be on it forever?
Asked On : Mon, 17 Dec 2012