Bleeding after intercourse. Chances of pregnancy?

I was having sexual intercourse lastnight , no pain at all, when my boyfriend had me switch positions he looked down and there was blood . We immdeiatly stopped I got up and ran to the bathroom to wipe off. When I did wipe off that blood, there was no more coming out. So it instanly stopped. Im scared. Could this be a sign of pregnancy ?
Asked On : Sat, 12 Jan 2013
Mar 2013
thanks for your query.
A pregnancy could not show itself immediately like that.
this is called post coital bleeding, for which you should consult a gynecologist, as it can indicate conditions like cervical polyp, cervical erosion etc.
Also, if it was a position you were not accustomed to, you could have local vaginal/anal bleeding.
take care.
Pathologist and Microbiologist Dr. Shailja Puri 's  Response
Hello and welcome to HCM

Bleeding after intercourse is called post-coital bleeding and has various causes. It should not be ignored and the cause should be sought out.
Some of them are:
1. Hymen rupture
2. Cervical polyp, dysplasia, pre-invasive condition, cervical cancer
3. Infections: Trichomonal infection, chlamydial infection, gonorrhoes
4. Vaginal infection
5. Endometrial polyp, endometritis

Consult your gynaecologist for clinical examination and further management.

Thanks and take care
Dr Shailja P Wahal
OBGYN Dr. S Patra's  Response
Mar 2016
Pregnancy is possible only,if unprotected sexual intercourse is done with ejaculation around ovulation time in regular period. Ovulation occurs approx 14 days prior to due date.So calculate your ovulation time and high risk days (6-8 days in regular period)
Bleeding in first time sexual intercourse is quite common & it is due to rupture of hymen.As bleeding is mild,then you need not to be worried as it is auto healed in 2-3 days. Consult with your doctor if bleeding continues beyond 3 days.
Wait for upcoming period and if it is missed,then do a home pregnancy test with urine after 1 wk.
Practice safe sex by using safe period/Em Pill/Condom etc to avoid unwanted pregnancy & vaginal bleeding.Be well.