Black stools, stools with black spots after eating blue berries, black berries. Normal symptoms?

Hi last week I ate lots of blueberries blackberries and red raspberries almost half a kilo everyday. The next day I had black stools . So I stopped eating them. Then the stool colour changed back to normal but it still has black spots in it. I am a vegetarian so I eat a lot of leafy vegetables everyday. I am mainly concerned about the black patches in the stool. Is this normal and because of vegetables and how long does it take to digest foods?
Asked On : Wed, 19 Dec 2012
Gastroenterologist 's  Response
Hello, Sidmehta22,
I can tell that you did consume a lot of berries !
I don't think they do any harm to your body but
infact are good antioxidants and will help to boost
your immune system. So, don't worry.
As to how long the fiber particles take to clear out
of your system, depends on the strength of your
colon contractions. Some people have a slower
transit ,while others may have rapid transit time.
If you are still seeing some specks of black or dark
mixed in your stool, I would not worry.
It might take a whole week before your stool turns back to normal.
By the way, spinach in excess can change the color of your stool also.
I wish you well.