Black stool and hard, constipated and red chunks. Why?

Hi I recently played a game I hockey and had to leave with intense in my side then two days later my stool was black and hard. When I was constipated I took somemetemucil and now I ve noticed bright red chunks in my stool. And I still have the abdominal Pain Pretty paid. It s been over a week now. Should I be worried?
Asked On : Sun, 5 Aug 2012
Emergency Medicine Specialist 's  Response
Thanks for writing your query.

After reading your post, it seems that you might be having bleeding in your gastrointestinal tract and needs urgent medical attention.

I would advise that you should get yourself clinically examined and investigated.
Following investigations may be helpful :-
1. Endoscopy and Colonoscopy.
2. Complete Blood Count ( CBC ).
3. Ultrasound of abdomen.

You should take an antacid like Omeprazole 40mg once a day before meals.
Antacid in gel or liquid form is also helpful.

Following precautions will be helpful :-
1.Avoid spicy and oily foods.
2.Avoid being empty stomach for long periods.
3.Avoid mental and emotional stress.
4.Avoid smoking and alcohol, if any.
5.Avoid self medications, especially pain killers and steroids.
6.Drink lots of water daily.

Further medical management can be planned after knowing the reports of the investigations.

I hope this is helpful to you.