Black spots in arms, shoulder, chest. Something serious?

hi I m Hannah... I m 16 and I ve always had skin problem but I ve noticed that in the past month I ve gotten a lot tiny black spots all over my upper arms shoulder and now starting on my chest . They aren t black heads I know that for sure and most of they just scrape right off when I scratch but some I guess are too deep and stay. No matter what I do they come back. Is this something serious? What should I do?
Asked On : Sun, 25 Nov 2012
Jul 2012
Hi there Hannah,

I hear you as regards the black spots.

It is very possible that there are two problems that you ail from...Pityraisis versicolor that is a superficial fungal infection & a dry skin related problem called Keratoses Pilaris.

The former is easily treated using a topical & or systemic antifungal & the latter with the use of a good emollient & keratolytic.

Dermatology however as i always say is a visual field & as such it will be great if you could upload a clear digital photograph of the problem onto this site using the upload data icon on your screen.

Cheers & Good luck Hannah. Wish you a clear skin soon.

Dr Praveen Rodrigues MD