Black patches on the body and face. Is this a fungal infection?

My mother is 62 years old. She had developed (from the end of december 2012) black patches almost all over her body except palm, soles, face and neck . The general physician she had consulted told her it is an allergic dermal condition, but could not identify the cause behind. She is on treatment (anti-folic medicine) from Jan 2013, but with little improvement. My question 1) What is the type of disease she is suffering from 2) The doctor said it could be a fungal infection . is it so? 3) How long it would take to recover
Asked On : Fri, 22 Mar 2013