Bitten tongue, now its very swollen with lots of discomfort

My husband bit his tongue very hard (2 different times). Now he has developed a very painful, swollen, almost tumor looking sore. It is very difficult for him to eat. Topical treatments are not working to numb the pain. What can he do to minimize the pain/discomfort & speed the healing process?
Asked On : Sat, 2 Oct 2010
ENT Specialist 's  Response
welocme to health care magic
its better u consult some dentist those may be pre cancerous lesions..
Hi. I usually bite my tongue in the same spot all the time. Now I have a swollen bump on the side and it's been there for a while. It looks like my tongue is split open a bit where the bump is. What should I do about it?
Dentist Dr. K. Ravi Shekar's  Response
Hi Angela,
Since you are giving a history of biting the same spot on your tongue repeatedly, you may well have landed up with a traumatic ulcer. You can try using a topical application like Dologel or Dentogel and see if you feel better. Avoid hot and spicy foods till condition improves and you can also take Vit-B tablets to help the ulcer heal faster. But if problem persists, seek advice from a dental surgeon as there are other conditions like precancerous lesions which may need professional help from a doctor.
Good luck and thanks for being on HealthCare Magic.

Dentist Dr. Naveen kumar's  Response
you can apply some oral gels like DOLOGEL -CT or CURENEXT if its caused due to just biting but in case of big swelling of tongue due to other reasons u should not neglect.swellings may be due to other sytemic diseases too.if u find patches on tongue ,that might be benign or malignant tumours or a precancerous its always better to consult a dentist for this.

ENT Specialist Dr. Puneet Maheshwari's  Response
also be required u take good anti bitoics like tab clavum 625mg 1 bd
tab signofalm 1 bd
tantum mouth wash for gargle