Bitten by insect, red raised lump, leaking pus. Taken medication. Treatment options?

i have been bitten by an insect and i always have a bad reaction to them. i am taking fluoxcicillin 500mg 4 times a dy. my symptons dissapear eventually but im always left with a red raised lump ranging in size. the latedt one is about 1 and half inches across. it had leaked a little pus , but it seems to be setting. its unsightly. my doc said its my body over producing cells to heal is this correct.and is there anything i can do?
Asked On : Sun, 5 Aug 2012