Bitten by horsefly, swelling, tightness, slightly pinkish skin. Cause of concern?

Hi, I was bitten on my left forearm by a horsefly two days ago; I felt and saw the insect and nocked it off my arm at the time. There s no local redness to the bite area but after a few hours the whole forearm and hand have swolen up markedly, with tight feeling, slightly pinkish skin, tender but no real pain. The swelling has not gone down today and swelling has stopped at the whole forearm/hand, upper arm is unaffected. Is this something I should bother my doctor about? Or will it subside after a couple of days? I ve not had this problem before. Thanks for any advice.
Asked On : Mon, 23 Jul 2012
Hi there,

Yes. The problems are due to horsefly venom. The swelling will subside within 2-3 days with anti-inflammatory drugs such as, ibuprofen; anti-histaminic drugs, such as cetirizine, and a couple of shots of steroid injection.

If the skin is infected, you may have to take a course of suitable antibiotics.

Consult your doctor who knows what will be best for you.

Dr. Rakesh Karanwal