Welcome to Healthcaremagic,
Many a times when insects bites, it injects toxin in to victim's body, which produces a local allergic reaction
(itching, burning, redness
, edema/bump and pain at the site of bite). These symptoms usually subside in three to four days. But some times, in addition to toxin, insect injects bacteria (like streptococci). Either the toxin or bacteria, many a times, produces inflammation of lymph
nodes as in your case. So, what I suggest is, if you have or develop any of these symptoms like fever
, allergic symptoms (i.e. itching, rash, redness etc.) in other parts of body, generalized weakness, light headedness or the local site becomes necrosed or there is pus or the local area which was originally affected is increasing in diameter then you must seek medical help
. Otherwise, antihistaminic drugs (H1 blocker drugs) and a pain killer (NSAIDS) along with local icing will provide you relief.(For icing see below note)
Hope this will help you, take care.
Dr. Vishal Vadgama (MD)
Note:- For a local reaction, ice packs may minimize swelling. Apply ice for no more than 15 minutes at a time using a cloth barrier between ice and skin to prevent direct thermal injury
to the skin.
1. Insect Bites
Treatment & Management. Boyd (Bo) D Burns, Robert A Williams et-all. (Source - http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/769067-treatment)