Big toes with wide nails, swelling on the big toe with redness half way beneath the nail, corner inflamed and painful. What treatment should be taken?

Yes please. I have been told by a Dr that my toe nails on both my big toes have wide nails. Also that I will always have problems with ingrown nails. For the past month I have had on one big toe swelling with dark red half way across on the underside of my toe nail. And as of 1 day ago, the corner of that same toe is inflamed and very painful. What would you recommend for my problem?
Asked On : Mon, 25 Jun 2012