Big lump from above the butt which was drained, small hole at end of spine. Hereditary ?

the father of my children a few years ago had this big lump form right above his butt and they drained it. I dont remember what it was called and he never went back to be seen about it again but they told him that it was from a small whole at toward the bottom of his spine and that he should have his kids be checked for it when they were born. I think my now 6 month old baby may have it but im not sure
Asked On : Mon, 27 Aug 2012
Thanks for writing in.
The bump can be teratoma, spina bifida,syringomyelia etc.
It can be hereditary in nature.An x-ray, ultrasound of local part along with proper examination would be needed for proper diagnosis.
Hope this helps.
DR Sudarshan