Big blotchy red spot on baby, below the knee and above the ankle, appears while walking only, doctor confused. Suggestions?

I just took my baby boy 1 yr old to the dr today, for about 3 weeks now he has had a big blotchy red spot about the size of an adults hand on his rt leg just below his knee and above his ankle it cover the bottom part of his leg but it comes and goes it s really strange. When we got to the dr office it wasn t there so the dr said as soon as it happens bring him back in or take a pic. So I told him it seems to happen more outside & if he stands & walks on it, I then put him down & let him walk on it because he wanted to see him walk as he was walking it started to apear so we let him walk around awhile I told the dr it actually gets brighter red than what it was but he said it s already a bright red where he could see it, so he examined it further and told me he was stumped he had never seen anything like it before not very comforting I might add when a dr is stumped. He went over the reasons it couldn t be an allergic reaction , or a bite of some sort or broken bone etc. He told me the reasons it couldn t be those things but didn t have an answer as what it might be? It s always in the exact same spot and always seems the exact same shape? He said lets give it another 3 weeks & if it s not gone away completley he will get another dr to take a look.
Asked On : Mon, 11 Jun 2012