Being treated for hyperthyroidism. Advised to wean off of medication. Advised iodine treatment, surgery if abnormal levels. Substitute for surgery?

Hi, I have had graves desease ( hyperthyroid ) for about 6 years being treated by a specialist. I have been taking neo-mercazole and down to 5 mg per day. Soon the specialist wants to take me off the medication and hopes my thyroid levels remain normal. If not I may require radioactive iodine treatment or surgery. My question is, if graves is an autoimmune desease, is there anything we can do for the autoimmune antibodies rather than destroying the thyroid.
Asked On : Thu, 31 Jan 2013