Been using psyllium husk, irritation in throat, cough. Is it a reaction? What can I do?

I have been using psyllium husk for quite some time and I noticed that every time I use it, I get an irritation in my throat that would make me cough . I searched online and noted that there has been cases of people reacting violently to dust from psyllium. The articles included ways to minimize sensitivity to psyllium (wear a mask, scoop it out, don’t pour the powder etc etc). I tried to follow all these but I am still reacting to the psyllium. I don’t want to risk taking pysllium anymore, so want to find an alternative fiber supplement . I have taken inulin and oat bran in the past, but they do not work as well for me because they work differently than psyllium. I’d like to find a fiber supplement that has the closest mechanism of action as psyllium. So my question is: Is there an alternative to psyllium that has the same mechanism of action as psyllium?
Asked On : Mon, 21 Jan 2013