Been suffering from tonsillitis. Why was I able to epiglottis? Can I have passed it on?

I have been suffering from tonsillitis for the last two weeks or so. I have had no other symptoms that come with it besides the swollen tonsils. Today I was checking them to see if they had gone down, and I saw my epiglottis . This is supposedly normal, but I can sort of feel a lump in my throat, so I m suspecting it is this, because in previous inspections of my tonsils, I had not seen my epiglottis. I also had shared food with a date, having thought it was gone (felt nothing for a couple days, thought it would be done). Doctor said whatever I had at this stage, likely wasn t contagious. I don t buy it. I had seen a doctor, and they confirmed it was not strep , bacteria cultures yielded no results, and I showed no signs of mono.I am awaiting the results from a blood test. The doctor recommends a visit to the ENT if these symptoms persist, and right now I m quite anxious about it all. So the questions I present are: A) What is possibly causing my condition? --- Swollen tonsils, and a now visible epiglottis (was not visible before/for sure not uvula ) with no other symptoms. I can sort of feel something there. Could just be my anxiety. B) How Likely is it that I have passed the condition to someone? ---- She reported a migraine (seemed a bit extreme for tonsilitis), and minor sore throat for about 2 days. Reports nothing back now. Still cautious. More about Epiglottis: Looks sort of like this: WWW.WWWW.WW no symptoms present from epiglotitis Might be relevant, but I stayed up rather late (3:30 in the morning) fixing my computer. I found it there this morning.
Asked On : Thu, 9 Aug 2012