Been smoking. Anxiety, unconsciousness, emotional rush. Why?

Hi, I have a friend who has been smoking put for maybe two years. he is also depressed. He had a bad trip last summer where he could not remember what had happened. He kept saying he was really scared and seemed really anxious. A couple of days ago he called me and days he had to talk to me in person about something important. He showed up at my house hyperventilating, anxious , and almost crying. After a while he started to just state out into space not responding to anything. Then he would try to stand up but couldn t. He was on the verge of fainting a few times. He said he hadn t eaten in the days but didn t want eat. He then started dating that he felt that he was gonna die, that he felt it, and those around him were in danger. He kept reaching got his razor blade saying that he had to die and that he was sorry. He then got a phone ca ll and after he hung up and seemed more calm but days he might hurt himself if left alone and he left. What happened?
Asked On : Fri, 15 Mar 2013