Bang on the ear, persistent hearing issues and minor ear pains, feeling of fluid in ear. Any ideas?

Hi, I got slapped in the ear, and now 4 days later I am still having some minor hearing issues and minor pains in the ear. I can t swim because when I do it feels like something is filling up with water in a way that it should not be. I think that when my friend slapped me a membrane or something might have been torn by the pressure of it, but I really have no idea. The pain is not that bad, but when I swam today it hurt really badly. Any idea what s going on?
Asked On : Fri, 30 Nov 2012
ENT Specialist 's  Response
Aug 2013
hello and welcome to health care magic,

I am Dr Sriram nathan and i Shall try to help you out with your problem.

You seem to have injured your drum when you got slapped. Many people do not realize the danger of a simple slap. In a closed environment of the ear canal and drum a slap causes such intense pressure that the drum ruptures and causes pain and hearing loss which you are feeling right now.

Now do not worry and most of the time it gets cured:
1. get an audiometric analysis and examination by an ENT to confirm the finding
2. take a course of antibiotic like amox-clav and anti histamine like levocetrizine in consulatation with your doctor
3. Do not take head bath for two weeks and after that do not allow any water to enter the ear
4. Do not put any ear drops

Remember that if you keep your ears clean and dry the hole and canal will recover

If any other doubts get back to me

Dr Sriram Nathan