Bad throat, pain in the end of last molar, unable to swallow. Can viral throat infection be so bad?

I was having a bad throat and checked myself for a throat infection a couple of days back and the doctor said it is just a viral infection and should go away on its own. Now from yesterday I am having a pain at the area at the end of my left last lower molar and it is hurting a lot. That area seems to be tender. Today i was even having tooth ache around that area. The throat pain has gone worse in past two days. I am having a lot of problem swallowing and i am unable to open mouth properly because of the pain at the above mentioned area. The pain is hurting to the extent that i almost cant chew and eat. Also my left ear is hurting. Can a viral throat infection be so bad? Please note- it started with a soar throat first. So I am assuming it can not be a tooth infection spraed to my throat, instead it should be the other way around. Please help.
Asked On : Mon, 26 Nov 2012