Bad fall on knee. Bruise, pain, swelling in calf, knee. Xray normal. Pain intense. Suggestions?

I fell really hard a month ago onto hardwood floor with my knee and leg bent under me taking the brunt of the fall. the outside of my left leg swelled and my calf hurt really bad. I got a HUGE bruise behind my knee the size of a salad plate. i could not put weight on it the first day. iced it and rested it. No more popping sounds. the next day I could walk if I limped. Have been limping ever since and can barely put weight on it or bend my ankle side to side without excruciating pain. After one month of very little improvement, went to the doctor who took xrays. He said nothing was broken...everything ok and gave me some crutches. Still hurts so so bad and I cannot bear weight on it. If nothing is wrong why all the pain? Why can't I bear weight on it?? It wakes me up in the middle of the night because it hurts. Any ideas? is it all in my head???
Asked On : Tue, 21 May 2013