Bad cough with mucus and phlegm, have acid reflux while laying down. Put on Medrol, gnawing sensation below sternum. Solution ?

I have had a bad cough I continued to smoking for a few months and I would cough up mucus and phlegm , I stated to get acid reflux while laying down at night a couple weeks ago, went to Dr last week on Tuesday and he put me on a Medrol pack and I just finished the last dose yesterday. I m still coughing up a lot if mucus and I still have a gnawing sensation right below my sternum and can feel anything I eat padding thru at that area as well. Could that area just be tender from all the mucus and the coughing?
Asked On : Sat, 9 Mar 2013