Bad cough in a child, treating with steroid nasal spray, loratadine, minimal improvement, Posterior wall of pharynx inflammed. Suggestions?

Hi, I am a Nurse Practitioner and have been treating a six year old child with a steroid nasal spray and loratadine for the past 2 weeks with minimal improvement in the symptoms. Mother reports all the family had a bad cough which seemed to last for 90 days. They are all symptom free now except the six year old who has been left with the residual symptoms of the child giving a single sniff followed by a single tickly sound cough. This has been present for around 6 weeks. During the consultation the sniff/ cough cycle was very evident. The left posterior wall of the pharynx is slightly inflammed and mum reports the child sems a little below par but nil other symptoms. Any help much appreciated I am ondering about a foreign body , polyp , enlaged adenoids . Thanks
Asked On : Tue, 31 Jul 2012