Back problems, degenerative changes, central disc protrusion, moderate central canal stenosis. Surgery is important?

My ortho doctor and surgeon recommended PT for me. Do you think PT can help this situation or do you think surgery is more suggested. I am 73 year old male. with back problems for 50 years.

My MRI Impression states:
1 Progressing degenerative changes most prominent L4-5. At L4-5 there is broad based central disc protrusion with moderate facet hypertrophy concentric moderate central canal stenosis. The thecal sac is narrowed to 8mm. There is narrowing of the lat4ral recesses bilaterally with contact with the traversing nerve roots. Moderate bilateral foraminal stenosis. Since previous examination, there is increasing loss of disc height, increasing degenerative changes overall.
At L5-S1, there is broad based central disc protrusion, minimal impression upon the ventral thecal sac. Narrowing of the left lateral recess with contact of the traversing nerve roots. There is moderate marked left-sided foraminal stenosis with conact of the exiting nerve root. Increasing left-sided foraminal stenosis since previous examination.
Asked On : Sun, 24 Mar 2013