Back pain radiating to the leg, numbness, feeling of epidural, advised steroid injection. What does this indicate?

Hi I have been suffering with back pain that has radiated down my right leg, I have been to the doctors five times and each time I have been dismissed with naproxen and antidepressants to sleep, I came on holiday just over ten days ago with pain that was just about bearable, since then I have been suffering with extreme pain, and experiencing complete numbness down below, I can t feel that I need the toilet, I can only explain it as having an epidural . A doctor has been out to see me since and has given me a steroid injection to get me by until I fly home on Thursday. Can you please give me an indication of what this might be and what I should do when I get back
Asked On : Fri, 27 Jul 2012